Jerzy NowosielskiBORN 1923, Kraków - 2011, Kraków
The foundation of Nowosielski’s paintings is a profound and personal reflection on the Eastern Orthodox icon. For Nowosielski, the Orthodox doctrine is not just an artistic inspiration from which he draws the traditional technique, a carefully weighed composition, a pared-down style – but also a subject of study. The artist has devoted numerous essays to the subject, published in the collections Inność prawosławia [The otherness of Eastern Orthodoxy] and Prorok na skale [Prophet on the rock]. Nowosielski is the author of numerous polychromies in Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches. He graduated from the Cracow Academy of Fine Arts. He was a member of the 2nd Cracow Group (1942-1957 operating as Grupa Młodych Plastyków), the leading post-war artist collective, alongside such artists as Tadeusz Kantor, Mieczysław Porębski, Tadeusz Brzozowski, Jerzy Tchórzewski, as well as the members of the 1st Cracow Group: Jonasz Stern and Maria Jarema. He has received the Grand Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (1998), the St. Mary Magdalene Medal, the highest distinction of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Poland (1985), and an honorary degree from the Jagiellonian University. In 1996, the artist and his wife founded the Nowosielski Foundation, which supports young artists.